We spring clean our homes, but do you ever think to spring clean your body? The Centers for Disease Control published a report a few years ago that makes it clear - every human carries a chemical burden in their system. Chemicals can be found in dust, gas, fumes, liquids and solids. There's chemicals in the water we drink and many of the foods we eat. We bathe in chemicals and rub them on our skin. They are all around us!
The longer we expose ourselves to toxins the sicker we can get. You can beat these toxins from wreaking havoc on the body and the microbiome. Our bodies are membranes and we are living organisms, meaning our cells can regenerate and we can heal!
Are you ready for a detox? Ask yourself:
- Are you frequently congested (sinus, coughing)?
- Do you have skin problems (acne, eczema, blemishes)?
- Chronic aches and pains?
- Do your bowels eliminate less than twice a day?
- Do you feel tired or foggy?
- Do you regularly work with chemicals, cleaning products, beauty products or on the computer?
If you answered yes to any of these, its probably time!
Here are 5 simple ways to spring clean and detox the body:
1. Change your diet: Nearly one half of Americans' food comes from outside the home. Calories found in fast foods are often under reported and these foods are sorely lacking in nutrients and are usually causing the body harm. Any food that is not in its original state is processed, which means it is likely made with chemicals as well. This includes lunch meats, boxed foods like mac & cheese, cereals, crackers, canned fruits and vegetables as well as juices.
Eat natural, unprocessed foods like organic chicken, fresh fish, greens, whole fruits and vegetables. When shopping through the grocery store stay in the perimeter of the store for more natural ingredients. Remember, if it comes out of a box, it more than likely contains unhealthy and damaging ingredients.
2. Drink lots of Water: You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces every day, maxing out at 100 oz. Water is your body's most important nutrient and if there is not enough to flush away your toxic waste, your body will react causing serious issues like hypertension, high cholesterol and heart disease.
Not a fan of plain water? Try water with lemon to help balance PH and cleanse. Drink your antioxidants like green tea, or adding blueberries or raspberries to your water.
3. Choose a proper cleansing system: Don't be fooled by trendy, fad cleanses in the market. Take an all natural system to enhance your results.
Nature's Sunshine carries a few great cleansing programs. CleanStart and Dieter's Cleanse both contain herbal cleansing detoxifiers to help clean the liver, bowel and supports hormonal balance.
4. Sleep: Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep for optimum wellness.
5. Detox your skin: Make sure you exercise to break a sweat; try skin brushing the body to help eliminate dead cells; and try a detox bath with lavender essential oil.
1 cup epsom bath salt
1 cup baking soda
10-15 drops pure lavender essential oil
Add above ingredients to a warm bath and relax! Try to allow 20-40 minutes for the body to detox and absorb the minerals.