We are an on-the-go family. Get out of bed early, shower, get dressed, and my husband and I are out the door, getting the kids to school and heading to work. Sound familiar? It's so easy to miss out on a good breakfast, but you can plan ahead. These breakfast burritos are the perfect solution. I made a batch of these on a Sunday morning, and used the leftover ingredients to bundle up extra burritos, place in the freezer, and voila! Just grab one, defrost and you have breakfast, any day of the week. It's that simple! This is my go-to recipe, but feel free to experiment with other ingredients like mushrooms, beans and potatoes. Enjoy!
Makes about 8 burritos
8 Whole-wheat tortillas
1 pound of ground turkey (cooked)
1 red pepper chopped (or any color pepper you prefer)
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbls olive oil
Optional items: Cilantro, avocado, salsa
1. In a saute pan, heat olive oil and add red pepper and onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
2. In a bowl, crack eggs, stir and add them into the pan with peppers and onions. Add salt and pepper and stir until fully cooked and scrambled.
3. Once eggs are cooked through, stir in ground turkey and cheddar cheese.
4. To assemble, take 1 tortilla and add about 1/3 cup of mixture, and wrap into a burrito. Repeat this until mixture is gone, makes about 8 burritos.
5. Take each burrito, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and then in foil to keep them from getting freezer burn. Place burritos into a ziploc bag and freeze until ready to eat.
6. When ready to eat, remove burrito from wrapping, and defrost in microwave for 2 minutes, then cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
7. Option to add cilantro, avocado, salsa or other ingredients to make a more robust burrito.